As Atticus Finch tells Scout in Chapter 3, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view–until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
Now that we have completed Harper Lee’s novel To Kill a Mockingbird, your job is to put yourself in the skin of our narrator Jean Louise “Scout” Finch, or another character of your choosing, and demonstrate your understanding of who they are. You will do this by creating a WordPress blog written from the perspective of that character in order to represent their characterization.
Perspective is how a character views events and other people based on their thoughts, feelings and personal experiences. Characterization is how a character is described by themselves or others.
Remember the acronym TALES when creating your posts:
- The things the character reveals through their THOUGHTS.
- The ACTIONS the character does and what those actions reveal.
- The way the character LOOKS.
- The EFFECT the character has on other characters in the novel.
- The things the character SAYS and how they say them.
Your blog must include the following:
- An “About” section written in the voice of your chosen character with a picture of how you imagine them to look.
- At least TWO quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird that you think best represent your chosen character.
- THREE additional posts that may include music, images or video that further explore that character and their perspective.
Each post must be at least 200 words and represent the chosen character’s perspective at different points in the novel (Hint: think sequentially! What happens in the beginning, middle, and end of the novel?)